Family Finances

Things You Can Do

Paying for School

  • To save for your child’s education, call ScholarShare or visit
  • Scholarships, loans, grants? Talk with a financial aid counselor. Call Direct Student Loan Service. Visit

Saving More and Spending Less

  • Set a limit on your ATM withdrawals and the cash you carry.
  • Save through your job. Part of your paycheck can be put directly into your savings account. See if your job has tax-deferred plans to help you save for retirement or pay for health care or child care.
  • Insurance questions or complaints? Call State Insurance Hotline.
  • For consumer advice, visit

Help with Taxes

If you worked at all and have a low income, you may be able to get a tax refund. If you are raising a child, grandchild or foster child the refund is even larger—fill out the Earned Income Credit section of your federal tax forms.

Financial Assistance

  • If you have a low income, you may be able to get financial help even if you’re working. To learn about your eligibility for financial aid if you’re an immigrant, visit
  • CalWORKs provides a monthly income to low-income families, or immedi- ate cash in some emergencies. There is a time limit on aid and a work requirement. Call Financial Assistance.
  • Food Stamps help people buy food. Call Financial Assistance.
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI) provides financial aid to some seniors and people with disabilities who cannot work. Some children with disabilities also qualify. Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) provides financial aid to people who have to stop working because of a disability. Call Social Security.