Managing Stress and Depression

Things You Can Do

Emotional Health Care

Counseling can help you deal with relationship problems, stress, depression, low self-esteem and grieving. Find a counselor you can trust. If you are worried about your child, talk to her doctor or a school counselor. Call Counseling, Mental Health and Crisis Intervention, or National Mental Health Association. Visit

Mental Health Care for Children

Most health plans must cover serious emotional problems in children, like eating disorders or depression. Talk to your child’s doctor if you think your child has a problem. Call National Mental Health Association.

A Healthy Lifestyle

  • Exercise can give you relief from stress.
  • Getting enough sleep helps, too. Try for 8 hours a night.
  • Cigarettes, drugs and alcohol can make things worse.


There are many new medications to treat depression and other emotional problems. Ask your doctor. If the medication does not seem to help or if you have too many side effects, ask about other options. Call National Mental Health Association or visit

After a Disaster or Violence

After violence or a disaster, you may experience fear, nightmares, loss of appetite, or anxiety. If this happens, talk to family, friends or clergy. Seeing a counselor may be helpful, no matter how long it has been since the painful event. Call Mental Health and Crisis Intervention, Immigrants and Refugees, Rape and Sexual Assault or Veterans.


If you feel you might take your life, or if someone you know threatens to kill himself, call 9-1-1 or Suicide Hotline.