Adult Victim Services Unit
The Tarrant County Community Supervision and Corrections Department's (Adult Probation) Victim Services Unit provides a multitude of services for the victims of Tarrant County.
The Victim Services Unit initiates contact with victims once the defendant is placed on probation. This contact is made by sending out the Victim Packet to the injured Party. The Victim Packet provides the Injured Party with the information needed regarding for what offense the probationer is serving community supervision, the length of time that the probationer will be on probation as well as conditions of probation specific to the probationer.
The Crime Victims Compensation Fund and other agency information that may be of value to the victim are also included in this letter. A contact name and number is provided to victims to assure that questions can be answered and referrals can be obtained. When a packet is returned unable to be delivered to the victim, the Victim Services Officer does a diligent search to locate the victim.
Some additional services offered by the Victim Services Unit include:
- Providing information regarding court ordered restitution payments
- Notification to victims when a probationer requests an early release
- Notification of amendments to probationer's conditions of probation
- Notification of any court hearings that may require a victim's presence
- Obtaining information from the victims or the documentation of new offenses when contacted by law enforcement agencies
- Accompanying victims to court when requested
- Meeting with the Tarrant County District Attorney's Victim Services Coordinator and the victim to assure an easy transfer from the court system to the probation system
- Providing victims with referrals for services assuring that victims are given a chance to voice concerns
- Listening to victims to assure that their voices and concerns are heard
The Victim Services Unit was designed to assist victims through the supervision term of the defendant and to assure that they are treated with the respect and dignity they need and deserve.
The Victim Services also provides the following for victims:
- Letters to all victims receiving restitution
- Letters to males who do not receive restitution
- Letters to women and children who do not receive restitution
- Office consultations
- Assigned Supervision Officer phone consultation